More pictures of Scarning from long ago

Can you add any names , dates or anything interesting to the descriptions alongside thes pictures?


To see more pictures click here



old railway gatehouse next to yew tree house, 1975 


old railway gatehouse 1975


Railway Cottage

Building the By pass 1977




grass track of railway line 1975


     Last vehicle through the railway arch before demolition


Podmore Bridge March 1978


WW2 dig  for victory poster


The Wright Family lived in Church Farm (now Oak Manor Care Home) in the centre of the village. These adverts date from 1949


Women worked on the land during WW2


Scarning United Charities still exists


George Miller was the Master at the School and the Parish Clerk


text


October 1993


Early 1840's map showing proposed route of the railway across Podmore Farm

The building in Chapel Lane is now a private residence

This is a section of the village tithe map from about 1840 showing what was later Church Farm and now Oak Manor


Congregational Chapel winter 1981


The old Congregational Chapel buildings

The original chapel was in what used to be called Podmore lane (now Chapel Lane) north of the Railway line (Now the A47 trunk road) There was also a Methodist Chapel a short distance further south.


Pony and cart outside Chapel 1982


Congregational Chapel 1984


Chapel interior


 

Centre of the village in about 1910


Postcard of Scarning Church


Scarning Church choir


Scarning Church after the road widening and prior to the milestone being moved a few metres nearer to Dereham


Road widening outside the Church

Postcard of Village Hall early 1900's

Road works 1950's

Village Hall 1905

At the crossroads 1920


Scarning Church


Norman Eagle Harvesting in 1977

Tractor


Norman Eagle Harvesting in 1977


Harvesting at Brookside Farm 1954


Threshing at Podmore

Tractor

Black Horse Public House 1970's?

Black Horse Public House 1983 now a private residence

Boddies House was between the Black Horse and Chapel Lane


Chris Farnham's farm


Corner House, formerly New Inn



Cottage at Scarning Dale



Cottages next to Black Horse



Junction of shipdham road mid 1950's


Manor Farm



Osier cottage Chapel Lane


Osier cottage Chapel Lane ex Sunnydale ex Allison's Farm



Park Farm September 1971


Podmore farm cottage Chapel lane



Podmore Farmhouse


Poplar Farmhouse



cattle

Cattle Arch bridge

It is situated just off the A47 to the east of Drayton Hall lane. Before the demise of the railway and the construction of the re-routed A47 this track would have been acessed from Fen Road.

black

Black Horse

Postcard published by Geo Coleby of Dereham submitted by Dave Pilbrow


pip

New watermain snaking across Scarning 2008

train

Last train before demolition of rail bridge



text


text



text


text



text


text